The UEN Issue Briefs summarize why an individual issue is important to UEN member school districts, providing data, statistics, and talking points, as well as defining actions we suggest be taken by Legislators and/or the Governor to address the issue. These are an excellent resource to take with you to meetings with legislators and share with advocacy teams. View the individual Issue Briefs below.
Issue Briefs - 2021 UEN Legislative Priorities
- Invest in Iowa’s Future: adequate school funding at least 3.75% SSA for the 2021-22 school year
- Student Opportunity Equity: close the gap for students in poverty, English-language learners, and At-Risk students. Study poverty impact on education and create formula weighting commensurate with cost of educating at-risk students. Preschool budget protections from enrollment swings. Invest to recover learning lost due to COVID closures.
- Teacher, Administrator, Staff Shortage: staff diversity and talent, flexibility in hiring, loan forgiveness programs and hiring retirees without negative IPERS implications.
- Mental Health Services: structure for funding and eliminating the shortage of professionals.
- District Authority: Home Rule in Iowa Code 274.3 requires liberally construing the statute to effectuate the purposes of local control.
- Public School Priority: invest in public schools first before private choice expansion.
- Remote Learning Instructional Time: school board authority to determine when schools should close and counting remote instructional time when virtual learning is required. (coming soon)
- Internet Connectivity and Access: all students, families and staff need a quality connection for virtual learning, to close the homework gap, and participate in the 21st Century economy. (coming soon)
Issue Briefs - Other Important Issues
- COVID-19 Learning Loss
- Diversity Plans, Open Enrollment and Poverty Trends
- State Cost per Pupiland Instructional Support Formula Inequities
Find more resources and tools by topic or issue.